Red Lid General Waste Bin
The general waste bin is for most of the items that cannot be placed in your recycling and garden vegetation bins.
Your red lid bin is for general waste only. This bin is collected weekly.
The following can be placed in your red lid general waste bin:
- Food scraps
- Plastic bags
- Plastic wrappers
- Disposable nappies
- Polystyrene and Styrofoam
- Light globes and Pyrex
- Other mixed garbage
Items not accepted in the red lid general waste bin:
- Car batteries
- Fire extinguishers
- Gas bottles
- Hazardous materials
- Liquid waste
- Paints and oils
- Medical waste
If you put the wrong items into your general waste bin, it may not be collected.
General Waste Tips
Try the following tips to ensure an odour free bin:
- Use bin liners to contain your rubbish before placing it in the general waste bin and make sure you tie them up.
- Freeze waste foods such as meat, fish and prawn shells and place them in the bin the night before collection. This will help slow down the bacteria that break food down causing it to smell.
- Try using deodorized biodegradable nappy bags for the effective disposal of nappies.
- Ensure your bin is not overfull and that the lid is properly closed.
- If possible keep your bin in a cool shady place and under cover when raining.
What happens to your general waste?
On a weekly basis, general waste bins are collected by REMONDIS and taken directly to the landfill sites at Buttonderry Waste Management Facility and Woy Woy Landfill. Here, the rubbish is tipped onto the site and managed through the landfill operations. The items that are taken to the landfill will stay there forever, there is no further sorting of these items.